Blog 1: Week 1

 Hello everyone - 

This is my first ever blog - kind of hard to believe, given I have been utilizing social media platforms and the internet since the early 2000's. When I was answering the discussion post this week I chose to talk about definitions, I always feel like definitions are a foundational part of every course. In keeping with traditional foundation theme for this too - I thought I would use my first blog to tell you the first time I started using social media platforms and if I still use them today and in what capacity. 

1. Myspace: YOU GUYS, I think this was like 2004, but cannot even remember anymore and obviously do not still use it because it does not exist.

2. Facebook: I jumped on that bandwagon right when it was launched in 2006 because I was a senior in high school but already had my college email address so was able to create an account. Back in the day when you had to have a college email address because it was meant for that community. I still have my account to this day. 

3. Instagram: 2010 right when it came out. I thought,  how niche, just pictures! I got so into taking pictures of my food and now I still do that.... I still have an Instagram account, however that is my only private personal social media account so I do not usually share it. 

4. Pinterest: I believe I started Pinterest in like 2012, I believe it started in 2010, but I started perusing food and yard decor in 2012 - and I find that is all I still use it for today.

5. Snap Chat: Eh, bleh, no thank you. All words I used to describe the platform I downloaded and used for one month in 2017, never to be opened again. 

6. LinkedIn: I believe I joined LinkedIn around 2015 or 2016. It was when I was in my beginning years of working in higher education and I saw it as potentially a good professional networking tool. I still use LinkedIn today, however I don't believe I utilize it to its fullest potential, but I also am not job searching specifically. 

7. TikTok: Joined in 2022 mostly because my closest friends kept sending me video and I was tired of not viewing them through the platform itself. I use Tik Tok for food!!!! I love to cook and make new recipes, so I love to see what other individuals are doing. My algorithm also tells me I enjoy watching dog and cat videos 0 which makes sense given I have two dogs. :) 

So, there is a brief understanding and foundation to where I have been and continue to be in the social media platform world. Not too shabby for my first blog post. 

Comments

  1. Hi ALH! This post took me down memory lane. I experienced many of the social media platforms you mentioned, except I had a Twitter before Instagram and I don't have a TikTok (I think I never will). BUT funny enough...I watch some TikTok videos via Reddit...pretty funny! My first social media platform was Myspace and I loved designing my page through HTML coding as much as socializing with my classmates (I was in 8th grade when I got it). Prior to Myspace, I think I used AOL chat a lot...I wonder what that would fall under...social networking?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 3: Week 1

Week 4: Online Life

Week 4: Your Thoughts, Internet Exhaustion