Week 4: Online Life

While progressing through class this week and attempting to become more integrated in other Web 2.0 communities and content, I can't help but find it overwhelming. I think there is a reason I am fully a part of some online communities and just aware of others. Maybe it is the feeling of a need to check in or just not having the capacity to engage across multiple platforms. I am sure there is a term for it these days and I should go search for it, but I feel exhaustion from the internet right now. Don't get me wrong, it is a privilege to have everything in the palm of our hands, connectivity to loved ones, access to information, maps, locations, etc., but living in the space throughout the day is exhausting. 

I sat outside last night and reflected on my usage of all things that are internet related throughout my day and it is no wonder I feel overwhelmed. And yes, I strategically set outside so I wouldn't be around anything streaming or playing. Below is just a snap shot of time usage in internet community spaces or just internet usage for yesterday: 

  • 7 - 8 hours online at work using internet databases
  • 2 - 3 hours streaming TV/news/music
  • 2 hours of phone usage/app engagement/etc. 
  • 1 - 2 hours of streaming music
That is just an estimate.. which would mean that out of the approximately 16  hours I am awake, I am utilizing the internet/web/social communities in some capacity for almost the complete duration. 

I would be interested to hear if any of you all are also experiencing this or have ever taken a reflective look at your daily usage. 

Closing example, I am blogging while I have work pulled up, streaming Spotify, and have a CNN live ticker running... self inflicted exhaustion I presume.. 

Comments

  1. I can understand your internet exhaustion. I am online all day at work, and generally spend my lunch break trying to do a bit of homework. My goal is generally 30 minutes unplugged each day: going for a walk, reading a paper novel, or something like that I find helps keep me centered.
    I can also empathize with the listening to music (in my case podcast streaming) being exhausting... it's almost like our brains are so busy with what we're seeing we want to add a second stimuli (sound) just to break it up. Thank you for the share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Missy. I also try to have a goal for amount of time being unplugged. But I find that even in those moments of walking or doing yard work, etc. I find the want or opportunity to have music playing or a podcast. Most of the time it is completely natural just to turn something on and not even think about it.

      Delete
  2. I can relate on so many levels here. My iPhone on Sundays typically tells me how many (mins.hrs) I've spent using my phone. Additionally, I can access the report and it breaks down my time per app. I've always been cognizant of how often i'm plugged into my phone for whatever reason, and I've always decreased my time each week. However, since I've enrolled in this class and have so many new sm apps i've been increasing my usage each week.. and YES IT IS VERY EXHAUSTING! I often ask myself if I'll be burnt out once this class is over and the answer is yes! I remind myself though, that things are optional, so I don't have to create an account for every tool that mentioned. That's been the saving grace. Even though I have the apps on my phone I try to navigate each a little bit at a time. So I may be active on Twitter and Reddit heavy one week and other others sms the other week, just so I can pace myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! The Sunday breakdown of minutes and hours always catches me off guard. Week 2 when I took my preliminary examination, that was my lowest screentime report EVER! I need to remember we don't have to do everything either. I have found though that I will make an account and then see if I want to engage with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 3: Week 1

Week 4: Your Thoughts, Internet Exhaustion