Week 7: Where Do We Get Our News

Well if you have access to the internet, you have seen by now the most recent supreme court ruling regarding affirmative action. Without engaging in a political back and forth, it had me thinking about another topic that I wanted to share in my blog journal word vomit safe zone. 

Where do we get out news?

I have been working from home this week due to some construction (bleh), but because of that, I have had the opportunity to have the news on in the background. So, today, I actually received the news from the news source on live TV. However, I also got a text from my partner and a ping through a social media site, all almost simultaneously. This brings about my question of how are we all getting the news and how quickly. Through multiple different ways of retrieval and the speed of all things in the Web 2.0 universe this news story in particular was probably shared in record speed. 

Given that todays news came from the Supreme Court, I thought I would look and try to find some information from them on how individuals receive their news and I found this gem from 2021: More than eight-in-ten Americans get news from digital devices. 

I thought it was an interesting read and if you have the time, why not. I still find it hard to believe we can find out all news in the palm of our hand in no time. 



Comments

  1. Social media platforms I think is one of the biggest deliverers of news to the younger generations if not all generations in this day and age. It is interesting to think that just a few short decades ago, the newspapers were the mean source of news and information. I personally do miss that big Sunday newspaper where you had all the local and national news, sports, and funnies, as well as some crossword puzzles. I wonder if we will ever get back to receiving news this way or if it will continually be digitally? For the newspapers still out there, how are they surviving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a conversation that I have had multiple times with my grandparents. On any day, at any time of day, you can find the tv set on a news channel in my grandparents home. I grew up hearing it and watching it. Now, I primarily get news through social media platforms and a news app on my phone. My grandparents can't believe that I don't watch the news in my home, and when I do, it's typically morning background noise while getting ready for work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 3: Week 1

Week 4: Online Life

Week 4: Your Thoughts, Internet Exhaustion