Week 11: Ahhh Twitter

All week I have been wanting to blog about how Elon Musk changed Twitter's iconic (I believe it was iconic) logo to the X. An X.. just an X. And then I thought, nah it is not that big of a deal, there are other things to talk about... and then low and behold he changed the X to a different X. Y'all...

For those of you that might not remember or frankly don't care, the original logo was the bird. There were many variations of a bird, but we always knew it was a bird and to me it was synonymous with Twitter, given "tweeting". 

I thought it would be fun to show the changes in the bird logo over the years and then to share the ridiculous new X logo and the already quick change to it. 



I remember the bird changes because I believe I joined Twitter in 2009 and so was aware of the change from 2009 to 2010 which then inevitable became the logo and look of Twitter. 

Now the X, I just don't understand. On Sunday, Elon Musk announced he was rebranding Twitter to X and even made a shoutout for someone to submit a logo to him and he would go live with it. I know that branding is a big deal and can be engaging for users, but why mess with something that has worked...

I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this, or if anyone even cares. Ha


Comments

  1. I think the word you're looking for is "power".
    In my view, firing the blue bird which was associated with interactions, debates and diversified topics illustrates the dark side of power and gives a glimpse of Elon Musk's true goal. It's not expanding knowledge, it's not connecting people, it's not fighting misinformation. I think it's primary goal is to remind the world who owns Twitter. And I believe it's his main mistake. We'll see if the future tells me if I'm right or wrong, but to me, Twitter is the ownership of those who sustain it, who make it grow, who make it worth exploring. Elon Musk could have participated in all of these exciting challenges, but instead he decided to play solo. I really hope Twitter's members will be able to change the fate of this social platform, but if they can't, well, they will probably move their community elsewhere and Elon Musk will have to deal with his Xtra overconfidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, Marion. The name has power, and by changing the name he apparently showed "who owns Twitter." And It's sad. I want the blue bird back. Do you think it's feasible for Twitter users to migrate to another platform and create a similar community? If so, how long would it take? I'm not trying to be skeptical, because I was also thinking about switching to another platform when I realized that Twitter had changed to X. But then I got to be hesitant right away because I've established my own set of networks by following accounts whenever I found inspiring, which now I have become so fond of, and if the majority of my Twitter networks decided to stay in X, I would find it hard to leave. I believe some influencers with lots of followers making the first moves will play an important role.

      Delete
  2. All of the dialogue between the post and comments is so interesting to me. As someone who is not a Twitter user (only signed up due to this class), I don't have much of an opinion about the changes. I didn't realize how many logo changes Twitter experienced before the current one "stuck." I've seen conversation floating around about the use of Threads. I haven't tried it out, but I am curious to see if Twitter users who are dissatisfied with its current direction will be moving over to Threads.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 3: Week 1

Week 4: Your Thoughts, Internet Exhaustion

Week 4: Online Life